NEW!! Hopewell Big Woods Teaching Trunk is now available at French Creek State Park to educators and parents of home school students in the area.
As one of many members of the Hopewell Big Woods Partnership, the Hay Creek Watershed Association is pleased to introduce a new and exciting tool, a 'trunk' filled with tons of great top of the line environmental teaching resources and ideas.
The Hopewell Big Woods Teaching Trunk contains the tools you need to teach about topics such as stream ecology, forestry, seasonal pools, history of the Hopewell Big Woods, and more! These tools may be utilized to plan a field trip to one of the many park sites located in the Big Woods, or as a supplement to classroom activities.
There is no fee
to borrow the trunk. For general questions about the trunk or a detailed inventory list, email Lisa Miller at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To check on availability of the trunk, call the French Creek State Park Office at: 610-582-9680 (First-come, first-served. No reservations please!).Kits
- Leaf Pack Experiments Stream Ecology Kit
- Acorn Naturalists Tree Ring Discovery Kit
- Hopewell Furnace “Hands-On” Bag
- Vernal Pool Life
- Salamanders of Pennsylvania
- Frogs of Pennsylvania
- Turtles of Pennsylvania
- Suspended Animation: Primeval Shrimps and the Art of Survival (Grades 7-12)
- Bugs of the Underworld: The natural history of aquatic insects.
- Seasonal Wildflowers of the Eastern Forests
- Frog and Toad Calls of Pennsylvania (PA Fish and Boat Commission).
- Hopewell Furnace: Orientation and Demonstration Video
Books and Pamphlets
- One Small Square: Swamp, Donald M. Silver (Ages 6-10)
- One Small Square: Woods, Donald M. Silver (Ages 6-10)
- One Small Square: Backyard, Donald. M. Silver (Ages 6-10)
- The Lorax, by Dr. Suess.
- Vernal Pool Lessons and Activities, Massachusetts Audubon Society. (grades 3-12)
- Common Trees of Pennsylvania, DCNR, Bureau of Forestry
- A Field Guide to the animals of Vernal Pools, Leo P. Kenney, Matthew R. Burne
- Pennsylvania Amphibians & Reptiles, Larry Shaffer.
- Pondwatchers Guide to Ponds and Vernal Pools of Eastern North America, Massachusetts Audubon Society.
- Vernal Pools, Natural History and Conservation, Elizabeth A. Colburn.
- An Introduction to Mid-Atlantic Seasonal Pools, US Environmental Protection Agency.
- Rocks and Minerals of Pennsylvania, Educational Series 1, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, DCNR, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey.
- Common Fossils of Pennsylvania, Educational Series 2, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, DCNR, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey.
- The Geology of Pennsylvania’s Groundwater, Educational Series 3, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, DCNR, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey.
- The Geological Story of Pennsylvania Educational Series 4, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, DCNR, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey.
- Hopewell Furnace: Official National Park Handbook, U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Professor Noggin’s Card Games (Ages 7 and up):
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Freshwater Life of North America
- Insects and Spiders
- Birds of North America
- Wildlife of North America
- Information Binder with K-12 lesson plans
- Expandable Pond Skimmer Net
- March Migration Madness Game (paper plates and die).